Friday, February 26, 2010

Home Sweet Homestudy

Being a writer, there are some things that people assume come easy to me. Like writing, for instance. But it doesn’t. For me, there’s nothing more intimidating than staring at a blank screen with that cursor blinking, blinking, blinking. It’s like every blink is taunting me and waiting for me to throw out my first sentence. And then once I do, inevitably the sentence is crap, so I delete it and try again. And again. And again. It’s torture.

Writing is damn hard, and I’ve never been so reminded of that fact as when I sat at the kitchen counter of our Tahoe house trying to answer 32 autobiographical questions for our homestudy application. There I was, with the snow falling down outside, a fire roaring inside and a cup of hot cocoa in hand, staring at the first question: “Briefly comment on the relationship of your mother and father (a) with each other, (b) with you, and (c) with your partner.”

Ummm… I’m sorry, but isn’t that three questions? All I could think was… this isn’t fair. Here we are, two good people who just want to be parents and because we can’t do it the old-fashioned way or even the high-tech way, we have to jump through hoops and put our lives on the chopping block so that strangers can decide if we’re parent material.

I’ll be honest, I sat in that puddle of self-pity for a good hour. I thought about the fact that we had to be fingerprinted for FBI clearances and have physicals to prove that A) we’re not criminals and B) we’re not going to drop dead in the foreseeable future. I lamented the idea that a social worker was going to come into my home to make sure it was suitable. I was pissed and annoyed and frustrated and sad and angry and consumed by negative thoughts.

But then, as the answer to that 3-part question started to flow out of me, I thought about the child that would surely come into our lives someday and realized that these questions weren’t meant to be fun or easy or entertaining. They weren’t designed to make me feel all warm and fuzzy about myself. In fact, they were meant to be difficult and time consuming and intimidating because they were designed to protect an innocent child. Plain and simple.

So I put on my writer’s hat and stared that cursor down until all 32 questions were answered. And then I spent two hours typing out the MR.’s answers because he types with two fingers. And yes, that was the one thing I said I wished I could change about my spouse in response to question #20.