Tuesday, February 2, 2010

So far so good

If you were going to give $30K to a stranger, what questions would you ask before you handed it over? That's exactly what the Mr. and I have been trying to figure out as we interview adoption agencies and attorneys. And yes, that is the average price tag on adopting a child in the U.S. Actually, it can go up from there depending on the "situation", like maybe the birth mom doesn't have medical insurance. Or maybe she changes her mind once the baby is born and we have to start the search all over again. Good times.

It's been a rough month. I'm not gonna lie. For starters, I've turned to self-grooming to try and save a few bucks where I can. Feeling really resourceful, I bought a $20 facial trimmer to solve the overgrown mustache and eyebrow problem. I'm not sure, but I may have created stubble on my upper lip and potentially my trimmed-up brows make me look like Spock's sister. Sexy stuff.

Besides coming to terms with the cost of it all, the Mr. and I have had to engage in some pretty honest conversations about what OUR vision for OUR family looks like. Because the agencies ask. Point blank. So basically, we have to say out loud to complete strangers, "We want a white baby." Talk about feeling like a horrible, selfish, racist person. I mean, what we really want is just a healthy baby with ten fingers and ten toes. But if you're going to ask and we're going to be honest, then yes – we'd like the baby to be white like us. And the next thing you want to say is: "Please don't think we're bad people."

And then there's the home study application that's packed with 32 questions that the Mr. and I have to answer. Separately. Like this little gem: How do you think parenting will affect your current lifestyle. Is that a rhetorical question? Or how about this one: Describe yourself. Okay, that's a little open-ended, don't you think? And my personal favorite: If you could change anything about your partner, what would you change? How about nothing. I love him the way he is.

Mixed in with what sometimes seemed like dark clouds of reality, the Mr. and I have had some beautiful rainbows, too. Like seeing our friends with their adopted son and realizing that it's not a matter of IF we'll be parents. It's a matter of WHEN. Or standing in the room that will one day be our child's nursery and planning how to decorate it. Together. Because really, these hurdles along the way aren't meant to keep us from adopting a child, but rather they're designed to bring us that much closer to meeting the child that is truly ours. So far so good.