Sunday, December 6, 2009

Away we go...people like us.

Flying back from a long week of meetings in Seattle last Thursday, I settled into my roomy seat (I heart Virgin America) and decided to clear my head by watching a movie. Preferably a lighthearted comedy that required no thinking whatsoever. Something that would have me floating off the plane and into our first adoption workshop that night.

Scrolling through my options, I realized pretty quickly that the cards were stacked against me. While I loved The Proposal, watching it for the third time in a month sounded like a waste of 8 bucks. No matter how much I loved Ryan Reynolds' abs. So, I clicked on the one movie that the Mr. and I had been consciously avoiding since we first saw the trailer this past summer: Away We Go.

Going through IVF, the last thing I wanted to do was watch a quirky little film about a couple that got pregnant without trying. I mean really, when my bloated belly looked like a pin cushion from all the shots and my boobs were the size of the Good Year blimp times two and my moods were a swinging pendulum, is it any wonder?

But there I was. Staring at the screen. Before I knew it, I clicked "buy" and the movie was mine. For a solid 98 minutes I was going to follow Burt and Verona and her pregnant belly. From the start, I noticed something amazing. I didn't care if she was pregnant. Not that I didn't care about the character. I did. I actually loved the character. I loved the writing. I loved the story. But I didn't care that she was pregnant. This was their journey. Not mine. Until they got to Montreal. That's where they stayed with their friends, Tom and Munch (that's a girl btw), and their adopted children.

To set the scene: Burt, Verona, Tom and Munch were out on the town for a little adult fun. Tom and Munch seemed so in love with each other and their children. Their life seemed perfect. But that would be too... perfect, right?

Tom: She had another miscarriage.
Burt: What? When:
Tom: Thursday.
Burt: This Thursday?
Tom: Yeah. This is her fifth. I know she loves all those kids like, like they were her own blood. But, I wonder if we've been selfish. People like us, we wait 'till our thirties and then we're surprised when the babies aren't so easy to make anymore and then every day another million fourteen-year-olds get pregnant without trying. It's a terrible feeling, this helpless feeling. You just watch these babies grow and then fade. You don't know if you're supposed to name them, or bury them, or...

People like us. And there's the rub. But you know what, I don't think Tom's people and my people are the same people. My people, we're ready to stop pushing our bodies to do something they simply don't want to do. That's why my people and I get along. That and we all have a deep appreciation for Ryan Reynolds' abs.